Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
Posted on March 18th, 2021 to Recipes
This week’s recipe is one for indulgent self-care. Indulgence brought to you by a rich, chocolatey treat. Self-care brought to you by nourishing ingredients with feel-good benefits.
We teamed up with a couple of incredibly talented women, who just so happen to also be family, to bring you this gluten-free and refined-sugar-free cake recipe… Of course, it’s also got an added wellness boost of 15mg CBD per slice thanks to an infusion of our CBD Olive Oil.
The cake recipe is by our founder’s cousin, Erika. Erika is a cake artist and baker based in Bogota, Colombia. Her signature bakes include elegant and rustic designs created with an eclectic mix of ingredients and flavors. Before becoming a full-time baker, Erika worked in the hospitality industry in Paris and Miami where she found her true passion in baking. Today she custom makes special occasion cakes always focusing on balanced textures, fresh ingredients, original flavors, and sophisticated designs.
The table setting and styling is by our founder’s other cousin, Erika’s sister, Tatiana. Tatiana founded home textiles brand Zuahaza in 2019 in Bogota, Colombia. In 2018, Tatiana made a trip to Charalá to learn about the rich history of cotton growing, spinning and weaving in this region. During her trip, she met with Corpolienzo, a cooperative of artisans. They decided to create a new line of textiles, born of the artisans’ extensive knowledge and of Tatiana’s desire to share creative, innovative textiles with the global market.
Zuahaza means “my sister” in the Muisca language of the people who lived in the Cundiboyacense mountain region of Colombia. Zuahaza strives to connect women from across Colombia, and to create unique products that reflect our diversity, history and dreams as statements of the unity and peace to come from Colombia. This is what sisterhood means to us. Our common mission is to create sustainable employment for women artisans in Colombia by revitalizing the craft of making textiles and collaborating to innovate in product and design by only using organic materials and sustainable practices.
Chocolate CBD Olive Oil Cake
- 1¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp rice flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- ½ cup Cannaves Oliva extra virgin CBD olive oil
- ¾ cup organic honey or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
Almond Olive Oil Caramel (for filling)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp organic honey or maple syrup
- 1½ tbsp Cannaves Oliva extra virgin CBD olive oil
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 chopped date
- Pinch salt
70% Chocolate Ganache (to cover)
- 1½ cup 70% organic dark chocolate
- 1 cup full-fat coconut cream
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 330°F (no convection).
- Grease two 6-inch (or one 8 inch) cake pans using no-stick coconut oil spray.
- In one bowl (A), sieve all dry ingredients (almond flour, rice flour, cacao powder, baking soda, salt).
- In a separate bowl (B) mix the eggs, olive oil, honey (or maple syrup) and vanilla extract.
- Using a spatula add the dry ingredients (A) into the egg mix (B) and stir until all ingredients are fully combined. Finally, add the hot water and mix until the batter looks smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter in the cake pans and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Filling
- Place all ingredients in a food processor until just smooth and fully combined. Pour the caramel into a clean glass jar and keep it at room temperature if you will use it immediately, otherwise you can cover and keep in the refrigerator for later use.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Chop the chocolate and place it in a bowl (no need to chop if you are using chocolate chips).
- Place the coconut cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer. Do not let it come to a rapid boil!
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and using a whisk, mix until the ganache looks shiny, smooth and spreadable. Let it cool down for about 5-10 minutes so that it is thick enough (like a chocolate spread or fudge) to cover the cake.
Make sure to tag us on social media @cannavesoliva so we can see your amazing results. We’d also love to know if you made any substitutions and how they worked out.