Upside Down Date Olive Oil Cake
Posted on May 13th, 2021 to Recipes
Next up in our series of recipes made with Joolies is this perfectly decadent Upside Down Date Olive Oil Cake…
We love cake, we love dates, and we love CBD. So when it comes to a perfect treat to unwind, this one takes the cake. We developed this recipe in collaboration with Joolies and our chef, Sara. This Upside Down CBD Olive Oil Cake comes together in about an hour and its sweet indulgence is balanced out by several nutrient-rich ingredients like medjool dates, yogurt, and our CBD olive oil.
We are obsessed with Joolies, so we are very excited about this partnership. We are constantly devouring their products, whether we’re eating their dates solo or loaded with nut butters as a quick snack, chopping up their dates and tossing them into our favorite recipes, or sweetening any recipe with their natural, low-glycemic syrups. Their dates are hand-picked on their sustainable family farm in the Coachella Valley, where the California sunshine, Colorado River, and certified organic practices nurture a rich soil.
Of course, this recipe also includes an added wellness boost of 15mg CBD in each serving by using our Hemp-Infused Olive Oil.
Upside Down Date CBD Olive Oil Cake
- 20 Joolies dates, pitted
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup salt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 0-2%
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp Joolies date syrup
- ½ cup Cannaves Oliva CBD Olive Oil
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup cashews or pine nuts
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease and line the bottom of an 9″ round cake tin with parchment paper. Drizzle 1 tbsp date syrup on the bottom of the cake tin. Cut or tear each date in half and arrange dates on the bottom of the pan, pressing down on each one slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix to combine with a whisk. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl add the yogurt, Cannaves Oliva, remaining date syrup and water; beat with a whisk till fully incorporated. Mix in the dry ingredients and beat with a whisk until there are no lumps. Stir in the cashews/pine nuts, cinnamon powder and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the greased and lined tin and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool fully and then invert the cake onto a plate. Carefully remove cake mold (run a knife around the edges before attempting) and slowly peel back the parchment paper to reveal the ‘upside down’ date cake. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Are you gluten free? No worries! Replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour. We love Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
Are you vegan? No worries! Replace the Greek yogurt with a plant-based alternative. We love The Coconut Cult’s Original Coconut Yogurt.
Want a low glycemic sub for the brown sugar in here? Replace 1:1 with Lakanto’s Monkfruit Sweetener.
Make sure to tag us on social media @cannavesoliva so we can see your amazing results. We’d also love to know if you made any substitutions and how they worked out.